Can the state channel really solve the scalability problem of the blockchain?

Can State Channel really solve the scalability problem of the blockchain? I watched some videos and articles about State Channel and learned that the current AE blockchain can only use State Channel between two points. Then this will greatly reduce the availability of State Channel, after all, a large number of use cases contain three or more points. So far, I have not seen any use cases for State Channel. I noticed that the team proposed the Virtual State Channel. Is there any information about the Virtual Status Channel?

1 Like

Hi @BlackCat.chain,

Yes, Aeternity State Channels are between two parties. We had discussed expanding them to more participants but this implies either putting some trust in particular participants (being source of truth) or making all updates sequential. We didn’t like either approach as the former introduces trust in the system (and we don’t want that, do we :slight_smile: ) and the latter would significantly impact the speed of operations (and we don’t want that either). Both of those actually might be an acceptable compromise in certain use case but there is no one-size-fits-all type of solution.

The plan is having those user-customizable per use case: let’s not impose artificial limitations and let users build whatever they need on top of existing infrastructure. Yes, this would require Virtual State Channels. They would allow users to build their own trustless multi-party State Channels protocol. You can read more about VSCs here.

2 Likes

It will be something worth looking forward to. Are there any plans to add state channel functionality to base wallet or other products?

I summon @milenradkov.chain

1 Like

There is a branch in the waellet extension which we started channels support on, but its currently outdated.
With the newest SDK which supports more extensively the channels API this can be revived I guess, but currently there are no “plans” for this yet.

2 Likes