[HOWTO] How to prevent 51% attack on aeternity as PoW blockchain

I think I can at least say that Bitcoin will run like before. Nothing will change for bitcoin. Aeternity would profit from the security of bitcoin. But I have no idea how this transition will be executed and what consequences that will have for AE‘s distribution and inflation as I think AE would then be used for staking on the hyperchain.

1 Like

You can rest assured that no one will attack AE again. Because AE will completely return to zero!

Modifying the PoW mining consensus algorithm makes it different, which only allows hackers to rent the same algorithm for computing power, such as Grin computing power. I don’t know if there are other options that are more feasible?

1 Like

AF had published the Aeternity Roadmap on the November 20, 2020.
Hyperchain consensus is in a implementation stage as one can see this in the Roadmap. The final version of the hyperchain white paper will be release soon.
AF is grateful to @gorbak25 and the whole hyperchain team for the fast and excellent development. The hyperchains will connect to the bitcoin network and make the 51% attack useless. Further details on hyperchain will be presented in the forum as soon as possible.

Presently AF is designing and developing anti-attack tracking and monitoring software systems to support the security of the exchanges and the miners. Generally the anti-attack system can be used by any PoW blockchains for tracking their reorganizations and can be considered to be the standard prevention tool for the exchanges.
A new emergency team will rapidly communicate with exchanges and miners to prevent attacks.
AF say no to stealing money from aeternity users and exchanges by cyber attacks!

We are looking forward to an exciting New Year 2021 for aeternity!

5 Likes

Now it’s too late to pay attention to the Chinese market, AE has become notorious in China! At the beginning, the decision of mining output was so much that a large number of Chinese coin holders were harmed! Now when it comes to AE, everyone is extremely angry!

1 Like

Hello, @lydia is the roadmap still progressing as planned?

Hello, @gorbak25 I hope you can publish more information about Hyperchain as much as possible.
Thanks.

There is a lot of information about hyperchains in the forum and a (not final) whitepaper Release 1.1.0 · aeternity/hyperchains-whitepaper · GitHub

2 Likes

@Fee.chain
Thanks for asking.

From security point is the Aeternity Roadmap now extremely important and has to be done as plan in time. There was a small delay due to the 51% attack posted as a Release 5.6 Delay. However the core and hyperchain teams worked together hard to publish the Release 5.6 rc of the node in December 2020 and keep the Roadmap in time. AF gratefully appreciate their excellent support in hard times!

It is exciting to note that Release 5.6 node is lighter, better, secure and has a surprisingly good performance improvement. It should be a completely new experience for our user to build and use the new release of the node. There were a lot of software updates on the connected libraries too. The sync process was optimized by the high professional hyperchain developer @gorbak25 and due to that the full sync that used to take weeks, now takes only hours. Special thanks to core developer and operations expert @dincho.chain for making the release happen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the good words. A small correction: although I did work heavily in the P2P protocol and fixed a few bugs there, the big productivity bump came from DB improvements by @gorbak25.

1 Like

I have translated it into Chinese and published it in AEChina:

2 Likes

@dimitar.chain Thanks for the correction!

Why don’t we just do merge mining with something like Ethereum?

I mean thats what Dogecoin did with Litecoin to secure their network.

I know technically its way more complex but it seems like using other chains would only improve security.

Why doesn’t AE just do advertisement and real big-boy and big-girl marketing people and actually sell the damn product to the world! Is the organization really that broke?

“If you build it they will come” (not Americans don’t know this line from a movie, but it goes well here) - Field of Dreams was a fantasy movie, a fairytale!! It doesn’t work this way in real life!

The funny thing is - they tried actual real-world advertisements in 2017, when they had sh*t to show - just to collect IPO money, I suppose… and now that there’s a product to deliver…

Challenges and critisism have to be many to make resilient products and we wish your team shall overcome the same in a fast track manner .

I understand , an infrastructure is a shopping mall of different applications . And only furnished products and increased customers/visitors onboarding to the mall can make it sustainable .

Some of the realworld applications are built and delivered like medicinal plant in Blockchain in Africa , Space ground station data in Blockchain in Europe , energy projects in Blockchain in China and recently secure wrapped email in Europe … And I believe many more successful projects to follow like superhero , crytotask , hyperchain etc .

We just need the network effect to increase . And from 2021 to 2025 Aeternity to be at top 30 coins .

1 Like

Dreamer guy, make no sense

1 Like

AE’s technology is really powerful. Now even the transfer of currency has stopped. It’s really powerful. The simplest reason for 51% of attacks is that the price is cheap and no one mines it. The founders don’t understand such a simple truth? The cheaper the price is, the more people will use AE. Are you out of your mind? Awesome, absolutely awesome!

2 Likes

The idea that the team values Africa and India is also extraordinary. If we had focused on the developed countries at the beginning, and the mining output was not so much, AE would never have been like this!

2 Likes

If AE founders had the same attitude as the founders of eth to promote AE, the price of AE would not be so low, would not have so low computing power, would not be attacked by hackers.

2 Likes