[Rejected] Episystemic and Endosystemic aeternity performance design enhancement with suitable tooling

Application Status

Last updated: 26.07.2021, submitted on the 22.07.2021, rejected on the 12.08.2021
Submited by Marcel
Team: Marcel
Approved Budget (in h):
Used Budget (in h):
Planned Delivery:

Specify the funding category

Open Source Development

Application Title

Detailed system level tracing/optimisation for erlang/aeternity stack

Applicant

Marcel

Value Application

Like day 1 bugs that only get discovered 5,10 or more years later large systems are complicated
and many obvious errors (functional and performance-sensitive) often go completely unnoticed.
This is a result of how people are organised to do the job of software development and how
software has to respond like an elastic organism to address many complex issues simultaneously.

I believe that this project can uncover some of these critical issues that are often overlooked
and exist in every system ever built.

What will become better and why?

Why is your work beneficial for the aeternity ecosystem?
(Please describe the impact of your project. How will your work impact the larger aeternity ecosystem?
How does a successful contribution of your project look like?)

My plan is to uncover any weak points (functional/performance) (which always exist in complex software)
the aeternity stack and respond by either making recommendations or building out a modified stack with
code changes that address the same.

A previous project I contributed to in a similar way for a large computer manufacturer turned one of its
most popular layered software products from an underperforming product close to getting scrubbed to being
the market leading performer by making detailed and often subtle changes to how the system operates. This
required experienced episystemic and endosystemic analysis to accomplish these results.

Definition of Terms

What exactly are we talking about? Please describe your project.

1/Uncovering functional/performance roadblocks
2/Fixing functional/performance roadblocks potentially in a dramatic way
3/Code changes/diffs will be made available on a suitable opensource hub

Status Quo

What is now?

Performance tooling is requirement for sophisticated systems and it is notoriously absent
from aeternity and the rest of blockchain and its dependent opensource stack (ex.erlang).
Currently I have personally designed and developed DEQDIP available on hex.pm and
in github under the userhandle cyanotype1

Without having tooling of this type their is a lack of any scientific method to any
analysis effort. Superior products always rely on the best tooling. Sometimes this
tooling is seen as so devisive, it is often kept proprietary. In keeping with
opensource my DEQDIP is available today on github and hex.pm.

Required Work

Steps to get to the goal…
Please list milestones and deliverables of your project.

1/ obtain varied suitable test machines
2/ obtain varied suitable aeternity test loads
4/ proceed with deqdip to investigate performance issues in both an episystemic and endosystemic way
5/ on a per case basis create more analytic tools
6/ on a per case basis determine reason for performance issue - example it may be functional and
create and develop an enhanced design to address the issue.

Estimate

I) episystem and endosystemic evaluation of aeternity stack including support from deqdip and
any other tooling developed

estimate: 4-8 weeks

II) formulation of development plan to address uncovered issues
estimate 4 weeks

III) build, verify improved design enhancements
estimate 4-12 weeks dependent on prior stages

IV) document and release project to opensource hubs
estimate 2 weeks

V summary)
minimum timeline 14 weeks
maximum timeline 26 weeks
average timeline 20 weeks

Known Limitations

Will everything work as expected to solve the original problem?

There are no known limitations at this point. Anything is possible
to fix with software, in general. The difficult thing, a problem
encountered before is delivering episystemic optimisations in
a way that maintains the integrity of any protocols implemented
in software/aeternity.

Outlook

What happens after this project is completed?

Do you plan to populate your project? (For example creating a micro-web-page, social media updates, blog-posts, video-materials.)

Yes probably on a dedicated website with links to suitable opensource hubs.

Publishment

Please confirm that your research and development will be published free of any proprietary license (open-source, open-access). Please provide a link to the GitHub repository of your open source project.

I confirm all funded work will meet these requirements.

Maintainance

Please confirm that your research and development code will be maintained with bug fixing and new updates free of charge for at least one year after publishing it.

I confirm all funded work will meet these requirements.

@marcel Thank you very much for applying. Your application is rejected by AF Board.