The Aeternity Foundation (ACF) supports the aeternity protocol and ecosystem.
ACF is happy to announce that the core developers team (core team) and the hyperchain developers team (hyperchain team) had joined forces to improved the aeternity ecosystem and make it even more healthy for the next evolution level.
Our goal is to make the aenode faster, better and lighter and the ae ecosystem more attractive for the users. The hyperchain network using the aenodes has been designed to attract the Aeternity enterprise customers and their users. On top of the faster aeternity network and hyperchain network the decentralized applications (dapps) can be run with higher performance and in a private context. Therefore the whole aeternity ecosystem will perform with higher availability, scalability, security and performance.
The Aeternity Crypto Foundation supports the Maintenance Application for the aeternity network. Weekly detail reports on the progress of the core team and hyperchain team can be found respectively in the forum under core and hyperchain development updates.
We are excited to announce the following aeternity release schedule and roadmap from December 2020 until March 2021:
Some of the important functionality improvements are the following:
• On-chain Protocol related bugs fixing
• Accept identical DB state
• Dead peer eviction
• Peer pool persistence
• Client endpoint for retrieving the peer pool status
• Decrease the reliance on centralized seed nodes for bootstrapping the node.
• Maintain and provide the community with the peer list for healthy networking.
• Upgraded Rocksdb
• Removed Windows Support
• Mitigation of a cyber attack
Release Date: 29.01.2021/01.02.2021 and 09.02.2021
Planned Released Date for Release 5.7: 15.01.2021.
Delay due to the cyber attacks in December 2020 and January 2021
Important Security Improvements to prevent 51% attacks:
• The fork resistance against the long fork’s injection of n blocks , where n is a configuration parameter. This feature means that by configuration, ae nodes will reject any fork that goes deeper than n blocks from the top.
• The ‘finalized depth’ finalizes the latest fork resistance height in the database, ensuring that it is also enforced at restart. This means that a node should never sync with a node that has a different hash at FinalizedHeight, which will be n+1 blocks below the top. This imply that after n keyblocks on top of your transaction, you should be absolutely safe.
• Hyperchain consensus implementation
• Launching the private hyperchain network for test
Release Date: 2.03.2021/4.03.2021
Release 5.9 can be found on v5.9.1.
Features with a strong focus on HTTP Application Programming Interfaces (API):
• Introduce a new HTTP specification.
• Provide the infrastructure for having more than one API specification.
• Ensure a smooth transition from the old specification /v2/ to the new OAS3 one /v3/ by keeping both specification available.
• Upgrade the swagger specification from swagger2 to OAS3.
• Expand the /api endpoint with a key argument (i.e. ?oas3).
The goal is to work on the new API while providing SDKs and applications all the time they need to complete the migration. The features are useful for the possible implementation of a Rosetta API specification. Calling /api and /api?oas3 would provide the old and the new OAS3 API respectively.
IRIS Release Process provides a detailed information about the process and the release features.
Postponed to Release Date: 13.04.2021
Release Candidate until 19.03.2021
Voting starting on the 15.03.2021
Planned Release Date: 25.02.2021
Important Condition: A positive result on community Iris Hard Fork Voting is required prior to the Release 6.0
Users, Node operators and Miners can experience higher performance for the creation of a new aenode compared to the present creation process using the archive nodes approach. The new sync process uses demand requests for the sync of the older node states. The newer Erlang Protocol OTP ensures aenode is running faster, better (bugs free) and more secure.
• Erlang Upgrade to OTP22 or OTP23 depending on the tests
• Fast Synchronization and related issues
• Beam sync - a radical optimization of fast sync was postponed for Q2 2021
Release Date: 25.03.2021 for the private hyperchain, main and public are postponed for Q2 2021
Planned Released Date: 25.03.2021
• Launching the Hyperchain network in two stages: Public and Main is postponed for Q2 2021. Only private hyperchain are deployed for testing.
• Bugs fixing if necessary
We believe that Aeternity Crypto Foundation can inspire financial, social and political innovation projects running on aeternity ecosystem.
Sponsors, Customers and User having an excellent idea how to contribute, use and improved the aeternity ecosystems are welcome to contact us under the Email: [email protected]
The updates on the Iris and Hyperchains will follow in the next topic Roadmap and Releases Q2.