[Discussion] - Improvement of the auction system for Ceres hardfork

I bet it’s just a matter of time until we see it. trading AENS names is sth. many people in the community want to see :slight_smile:

I think we have a complete different understanding about how auctions work...

You have to stop this from happening. Please think about it.
Arternity only has around 30,000 followers on X, and earlier, it hadn’t cracked that.
At around 10:15 on March 16, 2024, we compared some data on X.
The Ethereum Foundation has 3,332,978 followers,
Solana has 2504,765 followers,
Polkadot has 1,474,255 followers,
Dogecoin has 3,944,919 followers,
Binance has 1,534,971 followers,
Coinbase has 5,986,255 followers,
The Aeternity Foundation has 31,044 followers.
Obviously, Aeternity has very few users, and if Aeternity has more than 1 million attention in the future, it means that there are more than 900,000 new people who have not yet participated.
Greatly shortening the auction time of domain names now will cause short domain names to be monopolized by a few people in a very short period of time, which is unfair to the new people in the future, because they are left with only a long long domain name, which is very bad.
Maybe someone will come up with a new proposal as an alternative, such as creating another namespace, such as ".space ", but ".chain “will become worthless, which will be a great loss for the people who invested in”.chain ".
If this were to happen, how many new people would be willing to jump into Aeternity’s arms?
Aeternity is going into the light, there may be 1 million, 2 million, even 10 million followers in the future, please don’t leave the worst for them (newcomers).

1 Like

Attract more people to participate in the auction and give participants a chance to get AE rewards, for example: when there is a higher bid, if it is the highest bidder, successfully get the name, after the auction is over, the previous bidder can get 20% of the AE rewards.

2 Likes

Exactly how long do you suggest that the auctions should be? So far the dear people on X have had over 5 years to find Aeternity, how long auctions do you want? 10 years? You do realise that the names can not be used during the auction, right?

2 Likes

I’m not sure a new pyramid scheme is what Blockchains need. Still, gamifying the auctions could be an interesting idea - however, ideally, the names are interesting enough on their own.

2 Likes

I think your idea is great, and we have the option to advance our bid. Currently, new bids must be 5% higher - imagine 10%, 15% or even 20%…
".chain "is like a gold mine, we leave most of the gold mine to the future participants, so that the people involved in mining exceed 1 million, 2 million, 10 million, or even more, instead of leaving only ordinary stones for the future participants, which is not conducive to the development of Aeternity.

By shortening the AENS auction time now and aligning it with the ongoing halving cycle of the bull market, it helps generate FOMO sentiment, driving the price of AENS to rise. The AENS domain system has been operational for nearly five years, and currently, AENS has not been monopolized. In AENS auctions, the highest bidder wins, and the duration of the auction does not determine monopolization.

Ten years ago, one could buy 1 Bitcoin for 46, while now it costs 63,795. Do you think this is fair? Additionally, in the past five years, the AE community has only activated 7,060 AENS, which is a very small number compared to the total number of AENS. Did you know that within the entire domain system:

Single character domains: 36
Double character domains: 1,296
Triple character domains: 46,656
Quadruple character domains: 1,679,616
Quintuple character domains: 60,466,176
Sextuple character domains: 2,176,782,336 …

As of now, whether AE can be successful remains uncertain, and the possibility of widespread adoption of AENS seems even more remote. Therefore, I truly admire those friends who are willing to invest in AENS at this moment.

just to clarify:

• the proposal is mainly about avoiding a too high bump of the auction timer right before the auction end

I explained the issue above. currently, if an auction runs 3 months, it will be extended another 3 months if somebody places a bid right before the auction end. the proposal aims to avoid exactly that:

• determine a final price after the first 3 months (instead of bumping for another 3 months and so on …)

I have the same opinion. Already voiced many times. Core developers should NOT change the mechanics of the dot chain naming system. Instead creation of a different naming system can be done. Keep the protocol as stable as possible!

1 Like

this does not seem any problem to me. if you don’t want that anyone bids more than you, you should increase your bid!

1 Like

exactly as it is now.