Send to my .chain name going to invalid address

Let’s try not to confuse things further please. The second part is wrong, when you use nm_... as the recipient, the name is resolved to the (account_pubkey) pointer of the AENS name right when the transaction is processed. The owner is not involved.

And, if you intend to send to a .chain name you should of course use nm_... as recipient (like the Base app does) - in that way you don’t risk getting an old pointer, etc.

1 Like

are you saying when i am sending ae to an address i can use the mn_ or the ak_ interchangeably ? O_O

3 Likes

Yes, that is kind of the idea with names…

That’s amazing! and, is there a way to convert a mn_ into its ak_ pointer? or check if an account has a pointer?

1 Like

The AE node API supports looking up a name, the response is like:

id	"nm_24BFfnW5a97SS49e3faJaLkruJtwafgKa4G4pLk7B6JpfLV8G6"
pointers		
  id	"ak_u2gFpRN5nABqfqb5Q3BkuHCf8c7ytcmqovZ6VyKwxmVNE5jqa"
  key	"account_pubkey"
ttl	316207

Not sure if there is an API for the nm_... would be a simple addition if there is a use case. Note that this API returns the status of this name right now.

1 Like

I generally think AENS is one heavily undervalued feature. I am beginning to think this is so because of lack of understanding. The documentation is out there and it does what it should be doing but yet we still need guides and tutorials to improve the learning curve…

4 Likes

Indeed! AENS might be very useful for building decentralised aepps.

1 Like

Agree, the naming system is great. This video is outdated now but still relevant somewhat I did a screen share of claiming some names and exploring the app to help with the education.

1 Like

Yeah, I know you can convert a .chain name to it’s record, but I kinda meant trying to figure out where to place the mn_ transaction in the middleware index for instance. Having the ability to query at a specific height may be overkill but useful.

Yes, it is undervalued, underrated, and underappreciated. Having a set of pointers resolving in a name is as powerful in and of itself as a NS domain is.

Yes the video is relevant, but is it working? I tried claiming a 4 letter name, and it took my 138 AE, but I don’t see it in pending, or transactions, or auctions or anywhere really. I don’t know if the base aepp is not working properly, or what the problem might be. This always worries me, because when you do something and there is no way to see what you did, or the state, it is quite disturbing for me, I can just imagine how someone new to blockchain would feel if they tried to register a name and there is no evidence of anything but the coins were deducted from their accounts.

1 Like

It is a known issue the current aeternal middleware is not returning the data properly, there is a replacement coming to mitigate these issues.

3 Likes