cuckoo:
        miner:
            executable: cuda30
            extra_args: "-d 0"
            node_bits: 30
            hex_encoded_header: true

cuda30 process not start
I got error when I used CUDA miner, how can I fix this

@yeqinfu Reading the error, it looks like you need more free GPU memory.

You can read about memory requirements and try tunning the configuration

1 Like

What is the format of the extra_args: “-d 0” to bring on multiple GPU’s. I can change the address and get different GPU’s to show the cuda30 process and memory usage on NVIDIA-SMI but can’t find out how to bring on the multiple GPU’s in the rig.

Another thing I am seeing is the memory usage and power of the GPU increase as I start the node and the CUDA30 process is shown. After running for a bit the process is not shown anymore and the memory usage goes way down but power stays up. Something is happening but not going to tackle that until I can get all the GPU’s to come online then I will dig through the log and try to figure out what is happening…stay tuned.

I have looked at John Tromps Gighub and there are many arguments to “tune” the GPU’s but I can’t see how to bring on multiple GPU’s. It is with the arguments line but everything I have tried has been a bust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further info just let me know and I will provide ASAP.

Hi @ROB,

Unfortunately the cuckoo binary neither epoch support multi-GPU. You’re best bet so far would be running different epoch instances (installs) and configuring each to use it’s own GPU.

The extra_args option is a string concatenated at the end of the cuckoo command call.
You can pass any options supported by the binary you use - different binaries (GPU/CPU) accept different options.

For example to pass the device address use -d option to CUDA mean miner

1 Like

Mmm ok… but some questions :

• Can we copy/paste the generated_keys directory, so we mine to same address ?
  • Is it really interesting to mine many nodes through many GPUS from the same source ? Won’t we submit the solution altogether ?
  • Don’t we have to change all the ports for each instance ?

Doesn’t support multiple GPU’s??? That’s disappointing. Then the cuda-miner.md is VERY misleading and IMO needs to be updated to reality.

Cut and Paste from cuda-miner.md

Multiple GPU devices
The address of a GPU device used by the miner can be set with -d argument, for example to set device with address 0:

mining:
cuckoo:
miner:
extra_args: “-d 0”
hex_encoded_header: true
The address of the device can be obtained by running nvidia-smi

Is that mean my GPU needs more than 4GB?

hey rob, it is a bit misleading, but that’s how its written on tromp’s github (the creator of cuckoo cycle pow algo), it’s just copied (in the same misleading manner :D)

1 Like
  • you don’t need to copy paste the generated_keys. You need to configure the same beneficiary if you want to collect the reward in one (the same) account. As a side note, I’d suggest to keep out the beneficiary generated private key out of the mining node.
  • you should have separate installs with, one for each GPU. Not sure if I fully understand your question, but with that setup all GPU’s would compete for solution with each other.
  • yes you need to setup separate ports

Yes, you need more than 4GB VRAM (~5GB) with the default configuration which is optimised for speed. If you want to run with less memory - respectively with slower times, read the tunning guide and try playing with the parameters.

@ROB @gunray Not sure what’s misleading here. The docs are about the configuration changes and indeed the -d parameter changes the GPU device address. If you have multiple GPUs you can set which GPU instance the cuckoo miner should use.

Multiple means running more than one GPU IMO. If you have a rig with 7 GPU’s running 7 different nodes is not a good solution…again IMO.

Thanks for all the hard work in development.

1 Like

@dincho.chain If my config is like this
···
miner:
extra_args: “”
···
is that mean the epoch only use GPU , and CPU mining is stop?

@ROB We all see and agree it’s not efficient solution and it should be addressed in near future

@yeqinfu Correct. I guess this have to be addressed as well in near future

Great. I have all the confidence the team will come up with a timely solution.

1 Like