How returning mappings in Sophia compares to Solidity

So in Sophia it is possible for a function in contractA to call some function in contractB that returns a mapping, and then use it inside the contractA function. This is not possible in Solidity on Ethereum (unless something changed recently) - dynamic types cannot be used that way.
Any ideas on implementation differences of the two solutions? It seems cool that Sophia supports that. Are there any performance drawbacks though?

2 Likes

When returning from a (remote) function call you do pay gas for the size of the data returned, composed values are of course often larger, but the extra overhead for allowing user defined types is negligible.

I know very little about the Solidity implementation so I can’t really comment on the differences.

4 Likes

@hanssv.chain another question similar to this one is .

While doing a GetRequest are we still paying GasFee on Aeternity?.

Ethereum get requests are free of cost

With get Request I meant if I am just reading a list of ToDO items from my smart contract

in aeternity there is a so-called dryRun functionality available to achieve this. which SDK are you using? I think the SDK automatically does that magic for you in case the function you call is not stateful:

4 Likes