Technical to Creative Aeternity Questions

What technical aspects of Aeternity are the most unique or would best show the creative capabilities of the chain versus other Layer 1s?

2 Likes

I would start with a low transaction confirmation time, and super cheap fees

1 Like

Sophia/FATE, State channels, and generalized accounts would be my top three.

The details have been covered before. For the first there is a good video covering how (by design) Sophia/FATE avoids common pitfalls for the last one I had a presentation at the Aeternity Universe Three covering how GAs are essentially all that Ethereum tries to (re-)invent with Account Abstraction.

1 Like

Hi @hanssv.chain. I’ve read the docs about Generalized accounts here:

I can see how GAs are different from Plain Old Accounts (POAs) from a technical standpoint, but my understanding of how these affect uses cases is still not clear.

For example, I understand how complex signing schemes may support a wider variety of custody use cases that enterprises with particular security and access protocols might need. In what other cases would someone need alternative signing schemes?

Can transactions be initiated and signed by data from Oracles or off chain data?

How would users experience the simplicity of how generalized account functions are carried out versus how these functions are carried out via POAs on other chains? Isn’t most of that complexity, for example on Ethereum (ERC-4337), hidden from end users behind nested smart contracts anyway?

There are a few more use-cases I’ve seen mentioned

• Social recovery
  • Time locks and spending limits
  • Sponsored transactions (especially involving PayingForTx)
  • Paying for Tx using AEX-9 tokens (though I’m not sure that is technically solvable)

That said, I don’t think it is expected that users interact directly with GAs, rather that it is hidden behind some clever Aepp logic. Just like the complexity of ERC-4337 is hidden and abstracted as you observed!

And no, oracles can’t initiate transactions .

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Now I’m thinking more broadly about what is possible.

What about NFT signing: could one mint a set of AEX-141 NFTs and create GA smart contract logic to authorize the owners of the NFTs in the collection to execute transactions without the key to the original contract?

Essentially, that would allow transferable access to a smart contract functions via tradable NFTs.

If GAs allow cross-chain transaction signing, then theoretically NFTs minted on other chains could sign transactions on the GA smart contract. Would that be possible under the current framework?

That is an interesting question, I tried to come up with a way to do something like this, but I don’t think it is possible to do this directly. The limitation is that the GAs authorize logic is not allowed to do remote calls (calls to other contracts) - therefore it can’t check who owns an NFT. What you could do is a two step process, where an NFT owner first tells the GA that it will do a TX and then do it. (Usual care needs to be taken to not allow the same “secret” to be used multiple times, etc). I guess you could also tie the NFT contract to the GA contract (or let them be the same contract!) - again carefully avoid not accepting the same “signature” multiple times.

Disclaimer: I haven’t thought long and hard about this so these ideas are just ideas.

1 Like

Hello family,

How are we all doing today?

What’s popping about this great project?But I have to say,AE stands out as one of the most comprehensive and promising initiatives I’ve encountered.I believe that project that can last for 8 years must have their own dreams,and I also believe that this thing can be done forever,from start to end.

of course,it’s certainly known to people.I believe.why don’t i say it’s a success,because I think it’s been a success if I can stick to it for so long.

I would like to propose an idea that could further enhance the engagement and understanding our ecosystem:regular sharing sessions.This sessions could be held weekly or monthly and would involve key stakeholders or active participant such as developers,investors,token holders,miners, and other contributors coming together to share their perspectives.

Perhaps there are some complex identities here, both miners and community participants,that’s okay.It would be incredibly insightful to hear from the development team about the latest advancements and technical breakdowns of AE’s innovation features.Maybe it’s exciting for us about its new features.Perhaps we don’t know specifics of it,like Ceres protocol,but I think a simple popular science educational video or analogy to life would be very easy for us to understand and get much more exciting than before.

Please use metaphors for aeternity publicity.It’s important.Similarly,it would be fascinating to learn about the experiences of miners who are actively participating in the network and their personal journeys with AE.Investors could also share their view points on the project’s potential,it performance,and how it aligns with their cryptocurrencies,discussing AE’s unique selling points and competitive advantages in the market.

By fostering such open dialogue and konwledge-sharing,I believe we can strengthen our community,increase transparency,and collectively contribute to the growth and success of the Ae.

Everyone is welcome to give advice and discussion.If you have better suggestions,please don’t hide your idea.Share them as much as you like to help AE develop and go to the moon.