The local development environment I used for the Aeternity development 101 course

I started exploring Aeternity almost one year ago, I was exited because its great community, the platform growning perspective, and the rich ecosystem of tools and programs it has for its appropiation. I really like Aeternity :smile: .

My starting point with this platfom was through the Aeternity development 101 course from dacadeorg from wich I have learned a lot, so I decided to write my experience working from my local development environment wich helped me to reach a work flow more efficient for the MemeVote project.

This post was intitially published in the Readme.md of the MemeVote repository that can be found here, however, thanks to @erik.chain invitation, I would like sharing it here in the Forum as it may help others to introduce in the daepp development. ¡So here we go!

What is MemeVote

This is a descentralized application of the aeternity blockchain (daepp) that allows to register, tag, comment and vote user memes referenced by url. This daepp is the result of the Aeternity Development 101 course from dacade.org platform, which is a great community that enforces people to learn about this exciting technology.

About this repo

My intend of writing this readme, is to share my experience with the development workflow and the tooling that allowed me to reach and understand the daepp architecture and the interactions with the aeternity blockchain.

Motivation

The aeternity ecosystem is fullfilled of a great toolset like sdk’s for many languages and online tools wich makes possible the interaction with the blockchain and the development of descentralized apps. Some of these applications are the BaseAepp which has a lot of functionalities like wallet management, token transactions, and identity
provider for embedded applications. On the other hand we have the contract editor that allows to compile, deploy and test sophia smart contracts.

The Base Aepp is a great tool for testing applicactions convined with the smart contract editor, however, the development workflow over these online aepps tends to be very slow, as the code either the contract needs to be tested many times until they reaches the desired functional state. For this reason is recommended to enable a local development environment that allows to interact with the blockchain, deploy contracts and test the applications in our local machine.

Toolset

note: the scope of this doc is focused on the development of the MemeVote daepp. As this can be applied to other projects, the procedure may vary depending on the technological approach.

Aeproject

Aeproject is an amazing project that provides a command line interface to deploy, compile and test smart contracts. The most interesting feature is that it provides the infraestructure through docker containers to deploy an aeternity node locally which allows to interact with the network.

Git

Make control version to the source code is a good practice that keeps track of the changes during development process. As this daepp is deployed as Github page, changes are pushed only when its functional state is stable.

Http server

As MemeVote daepp design is browser based, which means that its javascript modules like the aepps SDK, vue.js libraries and so forth are loaded by html script tags, it should be deployed with an http-server in a predefined port instead of loading the index.html file directly in the browser.

Aepp Architecture

This Aepp has two main components: 1) the identity provider and 2) the Aeep itself. The first one implements the wallet and connects to the network; the second uses the Web Aepp flavor to interact with whe deployed contract. These components are integrated via RPC, so all methods from the Aepp are confirmed by the wallet.

For this deployment we will use aepp-aeproject-shape-vue project, as it implements an identity provider which may be configured accordingly to our needs.

Running the project

• Create an empty directory which will hold the node infraestructure, the identity provider and the MemeVote Aepp:

mkdir MemeVote-aeproject

• Install aeproject globally

npm install -g aeproject

• Initialize aeproject

cd MemeVote-aeproject
    aeproject init

• Clone the MemeVote daepp

git clone https://github.com/aeternity/aepp-aeproject-js

• Clone aepp-aeproject-shape-vue

I have forked this awesome project because it includes the base functionality of the identity provider, which is in other words a configurable wallet. This fork add some UI improvements that facilitates the configuration and connection to the network from the browser.

git clone https://github.com/snaphuman/aepp-aeproject-shape-vue.git 

On each cloned repository folder (MemeVote and aepp-aeproject) fetch all their
    dependencies.

npm install

• Run both applications

# In Meme vote folder run:
    npm start

# In aepp-aeproject-shape-vue run:
    npm run serve

At this point both applications can be accessed in the browser at http://localhost:8080 and http://localhost:8081 respectively.

Enable blockchain interaction

Both applications are running, but there are some tasks to be completed to make
them work properly: 1) Initialize aeternity nodes and compiler, 2) deploy the
contract, 3) configure the wallet, 4) setup the contract address in MemeVote
daepp.

Intitialize aeternity nodes and compiler

As described before, AEproject was installed globally in our local machine and initialized inside the MemeVote-aeproject folder. This initialization created many files and folders related to docker and smart contract interactions. This means that all operations with the nodes and contract should be executed at that path level.

note: To run aeternity nodes make sure to have docker service up and running.

• Initialize aeternity nodes

aeproject node

At the end of this process, the nodes should be successfully started and the default wallets should be successfully funded.

===== Starting Node =====
    Creating network "memevote-aeproject_default" with the default driver

Creating memevote-aeproject_node1_1 ... done
    Creating memevote-aeproject_proxy_1 ... done
    Creating memevote-aeproject_node3_1 ... done
    Creating memevote-aeproject_node2_1 ... done

===== Node was successfully started! =====
    ===== Funding default wallets! =====
    Miner ------------------------------------------------------------
    public key: ak_2mwRmUeYmfuW93ti9HMSUJzCk1EYcQEfikVSzgo6k2VghsWhgU
    private key: bb9f0b01c8c9553cfbaf7ef81a50f977b1326801ebf7294d1c2cbccdedf27476e9bbf604e611b5460a3b3999e9771b6f60417d73ce7c5519e12f7e127a1225ca
    Wallet's balance is 750440000000000000000

note: If you are running docker within a machine with selinux enabled, you should run containers in privileged mode. This can be achieved adding the privileged: true option for each container in the services block in the docker-compose.yml file as follows:

node1:
      image: aeternity/aeternity:v5.0.2
      hostname: node1
      privileged: true
      environment:
        AETERNITY_CONFIG: /home/aeternity/aeternity.yaml
      command: >
         bin/aeternity console -noinput -aehttp enable_debug_endpoints true
      volumes:
        - ./docker/aeternity_node1_mean15.yaml:/home/aeternity/aeternity.yaml
        - ./docker/keys/node1:/home/aeternity/node/keys

• Initialize aesophia compiler

aeproject compiler

At the end of this procees the compiler should be successfully started

===== Starting Compiler =====

Creating memevote-aeproject_compiler_1 ...
    Creating memevote-aeproject_compiler_1 ... done
    ===== Compiler was successfully started! =====

Finally you can list existing docker containers

docker ps

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                    PORTS                                      NAMES
    e3e1b576a07a        aeternity/aesophia_http:v4.0.0   "/docker-entrypoin..."   2 minutes ago       Up 2 minutes (healthy)    0.0.0.0:3080->3080/tcp                     memevote-aeproject_compiler_1
    2f0e9a20415c        aeternity/aeternity:v5.0.2       "bin/aeternity con..."   11 minutes ago      Up 11 minutes (healthy)   3013-3015/tcp, 3113/tcp                    memevote-aeproject_node3_1
    e4793f9841f8        aeternity/aeternity:v5.0.2       "bin/aeternity con..."   11 minutes ago      Up 11 minutes (healthy)   3013-3015/tcp, 3113/tcp                    memevote-aeproject_node2_1
    ae58970cad24        nginx:1.13.8                     "nginx -g 'daemon ..."   11 minutes ago      Up 11 minutes             80/tcp, 0.0.0.0:3001-3003->3001-3003/tcp   memevote-aeproject_proxy_1
    7a93a030c23c        aeternity/aeternity:v5.0.2       "bin/aeternity con..."   11 minutes ago      Up 11 minutes (healthy)   3013-3015/tcp, 3113/tcp                    memevote-aeproject_node1_1

Deploy sophia smart contract

• First we need to add the MemeVote contract to the Deployer configuration in the ./deployment/deploy.js file. Note that during initialization, aeproject created an example contract which can be keeped or replaced for the new one.

const Deployer = require('aeproject-lib').Deployer;

const deploy = async (network, privateKey, compiler, networkId) => {
          let deployer = new Deployer(network, privateKey, compiler, networkId)

await deployer.deploy("./contracts/ExampleContract.aes")
          await deployer.deploy("./MemeVote/contracts/MemeVote.aes")
      };

module.exports = {
          deploy
      };

• Run the deploy operation

aeproject deploy

===== Contract: ExampleContract.aes has been deployed at ct_2TjCTxSiLyQ3ADMTiozZPYkYnLQ1NSXaLp9GD7jX7tpJGoaJsd =====
    ===== Contract: MemeVote.aes has been deployed at ct_2n1MVAiBLWi7zK4dm4UvAfrziu4xK1AKE9zcYC99TKeiPw2LKN =====
    Your deployment script finished successfully!

This operation by default deploys the contract on the local network. We can use the following options to deploy the contract in the testnet:

aeproject deploy --network "https://sdk-testnet.aepps.com" --networkId "ae_uat" --compiler "https://compiler.aepps.com"

• Verify the deployed contract

Once the contract is deployed it can be verified in the network

aeproject history

| Event Time    | 25 Jan, 07:31:15                                      |
    |---------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
    │ Public Key    │ ak_2mwRmUeYmfuW93ti9HMSUJzCk1EYcQEfikVSzgo6k2VghsWhgU │
    │ Executor      │ Deployer                                              │
    │ Name or Label │ MemeVote                                              │
    │ Tx Hash       │ th_2Ly2WUuQ4dJwbNuCc6PmUQ5jVva9AgVRB7T1nA91xACvtgqnGQ │
    | Status        │ Success                                               │
    │ Gas Price     │ 1000000000                                            │
    │ Gas Used      │ 110                                                   │
    │ Result        │ ct_ptyi4G4GehmMYNM1gwDTVKGrUesgbVthZgp2762dTyhoEX188  │
    │ Network ID    │ ae_devnet                                             │

Note that if you deploy the contract on the testnet or the local network, it appears referenced in the Network ID field of the returned table.

Also, if the contract was deployed on the testnet, it can be verified online in the aeternity network explorer at https://explorer.testnet.aeternity.io/

Configure wallet

As I mentioned before, I have forked the aepp-aeproject-shape-vue that adds a ConfigClient component which provides a form that allows to input the public and private key of the wallet account, select the network to connect to, and input the url of the MemeVote aepp.

Instead if you want to use the original aepp-aeproject-shape-vue, it has to be configured directly in the source code replacing the values in the ./src/account.js and ./src/components/Home.vue files in the identity-provider folder.

Setup contract address in MemeVote Daepp

At this final step, we have to modify the ./src/settings.js file in the MemeVote folder and include the contract address returned during its deployment in the network or through the history command.

var settings = {
    contractAddress: "YOUR_DEPLOYED_CONTRACT_ADDRESS_HERE",
    contractSource: `payable contract MemeVote =
  record meme  =
    { creatorAddress : address,
      url            : string,
      name           : string,
      voteCount      : int,
      comments       : list(comment),
      tags           : list(string)}

Final notes

After completing this steps we are ready to play with the MemeVote daepp, but most important is that we are enabled to dig in the descentralized applications development for the aeternity blockchain. Take a look of the resources available on the Documentation Hub, Github Repo and Tutorials for further information.

Aeternity’s ecosystem is evolving very fast, and there are new releases of tools like the Fire Editor, or the Daepps Boilerplate, and many others, which intend is to facilitate the appropiation of this technology and help us to build daepps that can bring real word solutions.

I hope you enjoyed this reading and please comment your opinions. Happy Hacking! :wink:

13 Likes

Hey @snaphuman.chain thank you for sharing it here, this will help devs to start dapp development. Great work! :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

@snaphuman.chain thanks for sharing all of this! I think it would be helpful to people new to the environment.

Can you please share your experience with the FireEditor? I think this would be great feedback to @nikitafuchs.chain who is the guy behind it.

4 Likes

Thank you @vanessa.chain and Dimitar.Ivanov, I hope as well as you are, this experience to help new devs to get into the chain :wink:

@dimitar.chain I have played with the online version of the FireEditor and I think that is awesome!. I haven’t deployed locally, but for sure I soon will do. Of course I’ll give feedback to @nikitafuchs.chain, in this sense I think I’ll learn al lot reading his source code. I hope I can contribute on something.

2 Likes

@snaphuman.chain thanks for your extensive effort ! The fire editor is in a prototype stage still, waiting for permission to be polished. The more feedback it gets in here [Update No. 2 October] Fire Editor Release: The easy to use Web-IDE for sophia! - #28 by moritzfelipe the more likely is the chance that I will eventually be allowed to even continue developing new cool things for it. Ask, and it might be given to you ! :wink:

2 Likes

Great post @snaphuman.chain ! This will help a lot of learners, I will point them here if they want to advance their ae development skills. I think also you are very right. The dev flow in the ae dev 101 tutorial is very cumbersome. But we tried to make it very simple for beginners. We were also planning to add another ae tutorial to dacade for more advanced learners which should make use of more advanced tools like aeproject and much of what you described. Your post will be a great help for us. Thanks a lot for sharing!

4 Likes

Thank you @moritzfelipe, it’s great to know that you’re planning to add a new tutorial related to this topic. If you consider, i’ll be happy to help you.

3 Likes

Awesome @snaphuman.chain. Do you have any pointers for those of us developing with Angular?

2 Likes

Hi @Mike, sorry for the late response.

Im not very familiarized with Angular, but there is a project that has a scaffold for daepps in angular GitHub - aeternity/aepp-aeproject-shape-angular. I have not tested yet, however its architecture is similar to the MemeVote project of this topic, that means that it has an identity (the Wallet object) provider and the daepp (the Aepp object).

I recently see your post in the forum so I’ll continue the discussion over there.

1 Like