We decided to make use of a chat æpp as the teaching use case during these series which gave birth to AEchat.
We would like to kindly ask all of you to test out this chat æpp. Your feedback is absolutely essential in making sure that issues are found and resolved immediately.
Below, you will find some information as well as videos explaining AEchat and it’s SmartContract.
Thank you very much for your support!
What is AEchat?
AEchat is a decentralized chat æpp on æternity blockchain that utilizes ReactJS, IPFS, Google and of course æternity technology. AEchat is an open-source project where contributions are highly welcome and documentation is available on GitHub and YouTube.
What you can do with AEchat?
- Update Profile — You can always update your profile by changing your name, description and display picture(which saves the image IPFS hash in the contract).
- Send Friend Request — Regardless of whether your friend has the æpp or not, you can always send a request using his/her AE address.
- Accept or Reject Friend Request — You have the right to choose to accept or reject a friend request.
- Send Messages — You can send messages provided you are AEchat friends
What AEchat cannot do?
- Privacy — No one can see your messages except using your device.
- Media Transfer — Only messages(plain text) are allowed as you can’t send files or any other media object at the moment.
- Group Message — At the moment, Group messages are not allowed in AEchat
How to use AEchat
Check out AEchat using the base æpp browser.
- Are the messages stored in plain text in the contract? For now, all messages are stored as plain text.
- Is there any security measure that protects our privacy? Presently, we only make use of the contract where all messages, friends are mapped to an address(Where the address is the function caller). Although we are working more on encrypting messages sent.
- How do I edit my profile? With a simple click of the profile picture, you can always edit your profile.
- Can I send tokens to a friend? As of now, nope but this alongside sending images and other files will be rolling out soon.
- Why should I use AEchat? With AEchat all you need is an address to send messages, files, and token(rolling out soon)
- Can I use AEchat outside base æpp? This feature is in progress as AEchat is presently a PWA site that will remotely connect to base æpp soon.
- Where can I get support if I’m having problems with the AEchat website? Please leave your comments, suggestions, as well as reports on any issues as a comment below or send a mail to [email protected]
Learn more about AEchat on YouTube.