The æternity Blockchain Naming System (AENS) is Here!

The æternity Blockchain Naming System (AENS) is Here!

Join an auction NOW and register yourname.chain.

Over the past year æternity’s users were able to register names featuring the .test namespace. With the Lima hardfork, successfully performed on October 30, the official naming system with domains ending with .chain was launched.

If you are a developer, you can jump right in the documentation and start integrating name functionality into your blockchain application here.

If you are a user, you can use the mobile Base æpp, available at https://base.aepps.com (VERSION 0.16.0 - PLEASE USE THE WEB APP, Android and iOS is not updated yet) to register names, join an existing auction or start a new one. Just open the æpp, navigate to the “Names” section.

Check out this explanatory video to learn more.

How Does the AENS Work?

A detailed explanation on how the naming system works can be found in this document.

Here are the basics:

1. Short names (1-12 characters) are subject to auctions.
  2. Names with more than 13 characters don’t get auctioned and can be registered directly.
  3. The shorter a name is, the longer its auction lasts.
  4. The auction period resets whenever there is a new bid.
  5. Initial bids for short names are more expensive than long names.
  6. Names expire after aproximately 100 days and need to be extended if you want to keep them.
  7. If a name registration is not extended, it will become available for an auction again.

Simply put: Price and auction duration depend on name length. Time is expressed in blocks.

------------- -------------  ---------------
| name length | time out    | auction time   |
 ------------- ------------- ----------------
| 13+         | 0           | no auction     |
| 9-12        | 480         |~24 hours       |
| 5-8         | 14880       |~744h (31 days) |
| 1-4         | 29760       |~1488h (62 days)|

The initial fee will get set automatically and can be seen here.

How to register a name?

Browse name auctions and names with the Middleware

https://mainnet.aeternal.io/auctions

Just getting started, http://aeternity.name project by @bruteforce.chain

And of course, AENS of Aeternity - AEKnow is up and running

And many more resources to follow!

5 Likes

It:s finally here! Good job delivering AE team. Please no one else bid on Josh :joy:
Are the names case sensitive?

1 Like

aeternity.name is updated:

• filters by
    • name
    • length
    • ending soonest (wip)
  • pagination
2 Likes

No, they are not! I’m happy to support you to get your name Josh!

1 Like

Excuse me, how to expand?

Does base aepp see an extension button?

What do you mean by expand?

I understand now. This feature is not yet implemented in the Base app. You will be able to make this with the next release. Once registered, you will need to expand a name every 100 days.

1 Like

I have a question. If I fail to renew the aens in time after 100 days, will the AE spent on the auction be returned to my account?

I’m running Android aepp instead of web aepp, when will Android aepp be updated to support AENS?

Is there some sort of notification reminder when a name is about to expire?

No (and some more characters to make it up to 20 :man_shrugging: )

It is suggested that users can choose to set renewal time by themselves.
Different renewal fee can be set according to different time, and the renewal fee with longer validity is more expensive

1 Like

do you mean expand as name renewal like domain renewal?

also who keep the name fee? Does it goes to developer?

Thanks

the nameFee will be collected and locked in this account: æternity Explorer

2 Likes

Names expire after aproximately 100 days and need to be extended if you want to keep them.

Why not 1 year like normal domain?

Wow, it is an excellent job, thank ae team. However, the validity period (100 days)is too short,the guys from Chinese hold the opinion that the validity period is set as 365 days will be much better.

2 Likes

it requires just one transaction with the regular (small) tx-fee to extend the ownership of a domain. are you aware of this?

I sholud admit that it is easy for the guy has few names,but it will be a hard work for someone has many names (more than 20 or much more)with differnt length and register at different, you know names with differt length have different auction time, thus diferent generated time . So, I am here to express the opinion of members of Chinese community that extending the validity period from 100 days to one year. It is may unfair for others if someone has many names,but they also spend ae tokens on the names.

1 Like

Someone suggeted it is easy to extend the ownership of names. I sholud admit that it is easy for the guy has few names,but it will be a hard work for someone has many names (more than 20 or much more)with differnt length and register at different, you know names with differt length have different auction time, thus diferent generated time . So, I am here to express the opinion of members of Chinese community that extending the validity period from 100 days to one year. It is may unfair for others if someone has many names,but they also spend ae tokens on the names.

2 Likes

I guess you can expect some tools to easily track and extend the domains you own :wink: